Image copyright, John Tallet, 2003.  Click to return to the Homepage.
USK WALKS
Welsh flag
HOMEPAGE
ABOUT USINDEX OF WALKSLOCAL LINKSMAPS MISCELLANEOUS
WALK 1 WALK 2WALK 3WALK 4WALK 5WALK 6WALK 7 WALK 8WALK 9WALK 10 WALK 11
WALK 12
WALK 13 WALK 14 WALK 15 WALK 16 WALK 17 WALK 18 WALK 19 WALK 20 WALK 21

Walk No 8: Llancayo - Trostrey Common - Gwehelog
(7½ miles - about 2¼ hours; directions last revised on 01.01.22)

This walk takes you initially alongside the River Usk and then on quiet country lanes past a few farms and hamlets. There are three climbs, one of them quite long but none of them severe. There is a pub with excellent food after about 5 miles.

Twyn Square, Usk
Twyn Square

 

Turn left out of the town square and walk along the main road to the bridge over the river. Take the path called "Conigar Walk" down to the riverbank just before the bridge.

(See a photo of a commemorative plaque giving the history of the bridge and another explaining the origin of "Conigar Walk".)



Follow this path to the end and turn left on the Abergavenny Road. After a few minutes take the narrow, sloping path down to the riverbank and after a few hundred yards rejoin the road.

Where the pavement ends, either continue along the grass verge or cross to the other side to face oncoming traffic; after 5 minutes take the first right turn signposted Trostrey Common. (NB: The destination board is loose on its pole and often gets blown 90° so that it is pointing up the main road; if this is the case, please turn it to point to the lane.)

 

Restored mill at Llancayo Court
The restored Llancayo Windmill
(luxury holiday home)
(See another larger photo)


Pass Upper Llancayo Farm and continue through an attractive wooded valley. Just after the heavily wooded section you will pass a green metal building (built by Morgans of Usk) on the left. After about 50 metres turn left, at a cottage, into a narrow lane marked as "Unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles".
Go up the long hill and follow the lane round to the right at the point where there is a sign for "Walnut Tree House".

After passing Upper House, follow the lane round to the right, passing 3 connected corrugated iron sheds. Go downhill and at the bottom follow the lane round to the left, ignoring a track on the left where "Cherry Tree" is signposted.

Turn left at the T-junction and climb the hill. Just after the Gwehelog Methodist Church (built in 1822) take the right turn at the crossroads.

 

 

Gwehelog Wesleyan Chapel
Gwehelog Wesleyan Chapel (built in 1822)
(See rear view)

The Hall Inn, Gwehelog
The Hall Inn, Gwehelog

 

 

Just after Ty-Gwyn Farm (on the left) take the first lane on the left (Wainfield Lane). After 0.6 mile turn right on the main road. Turn left opposite the Hall Inn (a wide range of excellent dishes can be had here) on to Ty-Freeman Road.

After passing a few houses, follow the lane to the left (Ty-Freeman Road). Go down the steep hill. Follow the lane to the right at a junction after passing a green gravel bin.

Continue along the lane for 2 miles, pass the allotments and then turn left on the main road. Follow it back to Usk centre.

See route on Google Maps

A laminated A5 card showing this walk route, along with photographs, can be easily ordered here.
The walk can be ordered more cheaply in digital format (PDF file) on the alternative Order Form.

return to top >>>

WALK 1 WALK 2WALK 3WALK 4WALK 5WALK 6WALK 7 WALK 8WALK 9WALK 10 WALK 11
WALK 12
WALK 13 WALK 14 WALK 15 WALK 16 WALK 17 WALK 18 WALK 19 WALK 20 WALK 21

Page last updated 01.01.22